I met my husband at church…I mean on the internet. Even shadier, we met on Craigslist. It wasn’t a seedy casual encounters type
meet-up. I had placed an ad on “Women
Seeking Men” My friends had been bugging
me to try internet dating for a long time.
Turns out working long hours in educational theatre is not a great way
to meet a straight man…or make money…or maintain sanity. It was New Year’s Day
and I decided to place an ad, something witty with no picture. My friends assured me that I wouldn’t get any
responses without a photo. I wasn’t
trying to prove them wrong, it was sort of the opposite. If I didn’t get any responses I could throw
up my arms and fall back on my usual “Hey I tried. There are no single men out there”
I posted
my ad. My expectations were low. I don’t
remember the exact wording but it may have included phrases such as “I think
camping is like choosing to be homeless” and “I am not a fan of clubbing,
unless it involves baby seals” Of course
I was joking…well about the baby seals part.
I still hate camping. I blame
that on being raised by outdoorsy lesbians. I also hate Home Depot and
cinder block furniture. But those are
issues for my next therapy session…er..blog post. By the next morning my ad
(sans photo) had garnered over 200 replies.
Sure, many of them were spam, dick pics and those who I had angered with
my baby seals comment. Let me reiterate, I am not in favor of clubbing baby
seals. I am in favor of weeding out guys
with no sense of humor and/or those that are easily offended. We would not be a match. I received some bizarre notes that probably
came from Prison or the Western State hospital, but hey. Craigslist is free and none of your student’s
parents are going to find you by skimming the profiles on Match.com.
I met a lot of men. I
met great guys. I also met flakes and
liars and had a brief relationship with a very charming man that neglected to
mention his WIFE. I met computer guys,
salesmen, a scientist, a dryer repairman, a couple writers, a couple
bartenders, an electrician, and architect.
Like I said…I met a lot of men. I
was often invited back to homes to watch “The Notebook” I’m not kidding. I
guess I should be honored that they were willing to sit through “The Notebook”
for the shot at maybe getting some action.
They were clearly dating the wrong woman.
Mark was a computer guy.
He seemed nice enough. His
picture was not a mugshot, No girls were cropped out of it and he had a nice
smile. He had mentioned his love of
musical theatre so I figured he was either gay or trying to get laid. On our
first meeting he discussed Dungeons and Dragons so I quickly determined he was
straight and most likely not trying to get laid. He told me about his son (So
despite his interest in role playing games, he actually did have experience
with the opposite sex)He told me of his immense love for The Little Mermaid and all but offered to be
my date for opening night of my junior high production of Bye Bye Birdie. Who
was this guy? Obviously he was too good to be true so after three lovely dates,
I dumped him.
It was tacky. I did
it in an email. I was seeing someone
else and it was getting moderately serious and I wasn’t comfortable with this
whole casual dating thing. I met all of
these men right around the same time, due to the ad and I wasn’t quite sure how
to navigate the waters. Mark was super
nice, which almost made it worse. He
understood and said he really liked me and wished me well. Long story short, I
found out the other guy was married. My
heart was broken, I had screwed things up with Mark and that was it. I was giving up. I would grow old, surrounded by cats, drinking Sanka and
watching Matlock.
Fast forward a couple of months. My building didn’t allow
cats, I lacked cable, and I don’t think they even sell Sanka anymore, I decided to try Match.com. I filled out my profile, paid my money and
officially joined. Seconds later Mark
pops up as a 100% match. What the?! Well
who am I to argue with the extremely scientific findings of a paid dating
site. It was practically God speaking,
right? I swallowed my pride, ate some crow and whatever other cliché seemed to
fit and I emailed him. He was incredibly
kind about everything. We went to see an
Opera. He was my opening night date for Bye Bye Birdie and after a couple more
dates he invited me back to his house to watch Dr. Stranglelove.
I have never seen the Notebook.

I laughed and coo'd. Well written and super cute. Well wishes
ReplyDelete